Saturday, June 30, 2007

Bourbon Street Preachers in Ramsbottom



I managed to catch the first hour of the Bourbon Street Preachers gig at The Royal Oak in Ramsbottom on this last wet night of a wet June. Amongst the numbers I heard was the excellent Buzz Me Blues, one of my favourites (in fact it was one of the blues I played and sang last weekend at The Crown in Horwich). Other numbers of note were a very good I Put A Spell On You and Mustang Sally, an impromptu rendering due largely to the influx of some twenty or more women out on a hen night. Two of them sang well and provided the backing vocals on Mustang Sally. By then the place was jumping.

The Bourbon Street Preachers lineup included keyboards, drums, bass, guitar and vocals/harp/squeezebox. At times, this approached a decent Cajun sound. I had the impression that the gig was going from strength to strength as I left for another appointment. You could call these mature players but they laid down a good blues beat and some tasty solos on harp, guitar and keyboards, just the tonic needed with our ridiculous weather.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the wash board player, he is the best I have ever seen,
Great sound and beat,
I think he is called Patrick,
I have seen him at the llods in chorlton

Steve said...

This band is very good, they do play at the Lloyds Bar in Chorlton on a Thursday,
And yes I have seen the wash board player, what a sound, he brings it to life,I firt saw him playing with a cajun band,
This band will go far and if you have not seen them I would recomend anyone to go